no more cake mixes... Angel Food cake from scratch

Angel food was  one cake that Weight Watchers had so many recipes you could make to enjoy desserts with low points...it was wonderful... plus Angel Food cake was a dessert you could serve to your guests with diabetes.... 
Friends David and Joanne coming for a visit I went to my friend who supplies me with my eggs from her happy range free Hens.  

I checked cookbooks and then went to allrecipes.com, my favorite go to site for recipes. Love that you can read the reviews... they give advise and also changes in recipes that enhance them...love that..
The recipe I chose had over 300 people that had made it a lots of review.




1 Cup Cake Flour...I didn't have cake flour but read in the review to use 7/8th all purpose flour to 1/8 cream of tartar and sift.. Math especially fractions are not in my brain... so I filled a cup almost to the top and then the rest with cream of tartar... 

1 1/2 Cups of Sugar

12 Egg whites

1 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract  in the reviews people had used Lemon extract and other flavored extracts that they found wonderful...I used Vanilla but next time will try lemon

1 1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar

1/2 tsp Salt
  • Prep
  • Cook
  • Ready In
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Be sure that your 10 inch tube pan is clean and dry. Any amount of oil or residue could deflate the egg whites. Sift together the flour, and 3/4 cup of the sugar, set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, whip the egg whites along with the vanilla, cream of tartar and salt, to medium stiff peaks. Gradually add the remaining sugar while continuing to whip to stiff peaks. When the egg white mixture has reached its maximum volume, fold in the sifted ingredients gradually, one third at a time. Do not over mix. Put the batter into the tube pan.
  3. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes in the preheated oven, until the cake springs back when touched. Balance the tube pan upside down on the top of a bottle, to prevent decompression while cooling. When cool, run a knife around the edge of the pan and invert onto a plate.
  4. The  dried Almond paste I had made when I made Almond Milk I put in the bottom of the tube pan.
      I had to taste it before I took the picture.... I must say it is the moistest angel food cake I have ever had...another benefit of going preservative free!!  
        one thing i need  to practice on whipping egg whites to stiff peaks, I'm afraid they will reach the deflating point... so this cake's egg whites should have been beaten a bit more... a little practice and I should have it mastered!

Comments

Popular Posts