Country Living Flour Mill

My friend Jo and her hubby Dave gifted me with her Dad's Country Living Flour Mill... when they told me about it back in February while visiting them in Yuma, and how they tried selling it at their garage sale and no one even knew what it was, and maybe I would like to take it off their hands... I was so excited!!! They came to visit us this week and brought it for me... I was expecting a really old mill... with a stone as the grinder...and here it comes with a stand and motor and just about the coolest thing ever!!
Chet made this platform for it and added the motor... we did a test run and it jammed... so the guys checked it out and found the "key" or pin was missing... the next day when we were in Washburn we picked one up... 
Steve ground the pin down so it fit perfectly ...we were in business!
They also brought 2 large "skippy peanut butter jars" with wheat berries.. they were the ones her Dad, Chet, had purchased...he passed away about 15 yrs ago...i wasn't sure how good they would be but they sure seemed fine after they were ground.


I have 5 lbs of wheat berries I purchased from Connie at the Lamb Shoppe in Hutchinson... the very first flour grinder I ever saw was at Connie's years ago... little did I know I would be lucky enough to have one of my very own!!

I made Whole Wheat Tortilla's for my Enchilada's!  

Everyone gave their stamp of approval!


Whole Wheat Tortilla's

2 C whole Wheat Flour
3 Tbls extra virgin Olive Oil
1/2 tsp Salt
2/3 C warm water

In a bowl, mix together the flour, oil and salt.
Slowly add the warm water while stirring until a rough dough comes together.  and knead for about 2 minutes.

Return to bowl and let rest 20 minutes.

Divide dough in 8 equal balls

Roll each ball into a circle (you want them to be pretty thin)

Heat a pan over medium high heat and grease lightly 

Drop one dough circle into the pan and let cook until bubbles form, about 1 minute.

flip over and cook another minute, pressing down with a spatula if needed.  repeat with remaining dough.

Use Immediately, or store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.

I love these Tortilla's... so easy to mix together and make... and NO PRESERVATIVES!!!!
I ground a little more to have on hand... other wise will grind as I need it..

I can't wait to try different grains.... I was reading you can grind split peas and make split pea soup... also saw on you tube someone grinding peanuts for peanut butter... I won't be trying that... too messing to clean the grinder plates.... 


Comments

Unknown said…
A nice looking blog Darlene!

Popular Posts