GOOD BYE SWISS MISS!

I just got in from taking my bunny Fergie to her resting place...found a hollowed out tree stump... dug out the leaves and set her inside covered ..her up... sang " Creatures of our God and King" in her honor...  after climbing back up the ravine I decided a cup of cocoa would hit the spot... I had some Swiss Miss in the pantry and though I am trying to get away from preservatives and refined sugars I was in mourning and what can I say it was a weak moment.... took one sip and threw it down the drain...threw away the rest of the packets too...

I went on line and found a recipe and I'll tell you it was wonderful!!! It didn't take that much more time ... though more dishes to do..but well worth it!!

I next time will try it with Almond milk...but I used what I had..Steve's 2% milk...


Cocoa

16oz milk
2Tbls cocoa
1Tbls agave nectar (I used a little more)
and a sprinkle of cinnamon...

heat milk but do not boil...ad cocoa and agave stir... sprinkle with Cinnamon...
Enjoy!!

the cinnamon was ok...but may try vanilla extract next time.



LET’S LOOK AT THE SWISS MISS PACKAGE, SHALL WE?

from the pastrychefonline.com
the following is the list of ingredients in a 1 oz, individual package of Swiss Miss Milk Chocolate Flavor Hot Cocoa Mix (found here): Ingredients: sugar, modified whey, cocoa (processed with alkali), hydrogenated coconut oil, nonfat milk, calcium carbonate, less than 2% of: salt, dipotassium phosphate, mono- and diglyderides, artificial flavor, carrageenan. Contains milk. (They’re not trying to be funny with that last one)
















  • Sugar–okay.
  • Modified whey? Um, sure.
  • Cocoa?  Fine.
  • Hydrogenated coconut oil?!  Huh?  What is this, Cool Whip?
  • Nonfat milk.  ‘kay.
  • Calcium carbonate?  This stuff is why the package proudly proclaims “Contains as much calcium as a glass of milk!”  It’s ground up shells.  Yum.
  • Less than 2% of:  salt.  Fine.
  • Dipotassium phosphate?  Our friends at Wikipedia say this stuff “is a highly water-soluble salt which is often used as a fertilizerfood additive and buffering agent. It is a common source of phosphorus and potassium.”  As a bonus, it’s supposed to help w/headaches.  “It is generally recognized as safe.”  GRAS, in FDA-speak.  Gee, now I feel better.
  • Mono- and diglycerides?  These guys are emulsifiers that hold the hydrogenated fat together with the water you’re about to pour into this stuff.  Thank goodness for that!
  • Artificial flavor?  Mysterious, n’est-ce pas?
  • Carrageenan.  This is a thickener.  Made from seaweed.


Comments

Popular Posts