what to do with all those baby scobies??

Some of you I may have missed asking if you drink Kombucha.....next question....if you were interested in brewing your own?..
Kombucha is  wonderful probiotic drink that feeds your gut, keeps you hydrated, and boosts your immune system.
 I found this recipe while looking for a healthy pizza crust recipe ...which I found on www.wellnessmama.com.......... as it goes I spent more time looking over all her recipes...she had some great ones too... mayonnaise, kombucha gelatin,  a few that I printed off to try later... which you may see on the blog at another time.

A recipe for Scoby fruit leather caught my attention so with 3 qts of scobies in the fridge I had to give it a try....

Ingredients:
2 cups diced fruit (Strawberries, peaches, pears)  I used Strawberries...

1/4 cup sugar ( I used coconut sugar)

2 cups pureed Scoby

1-2 tsps spices or herbs (I used Cinnamon and basil)

Instructions:
1. Combine the fruit and sugar in a medium saucepan over med. heat, cook stirring frequently until the fruit and sugar are thoroughly broken down and combined, about 10 minutes.  Add the fruit mixture and scoby puree to a blender or food processor), along with the spices ( I sprinkled on top after spreading on sheets)  and pulse until mixture has the texture of applesauce and all ingredients are combined.

2. Spread the mixture onto wax paper or silicone dehydrator sheets in a layer about 1/4 inch thick. Dehydrate for 12 to 36 hours.  If you're using a dehydrator, use the lowest setting 95-110 deg. F (35-43 deg. C). If you are dehydrating in an oven, set it to its lowest temperature and prop the door open.

3. Once the mixture is dried and no longer sticky, gently remove from the wax paper. If the leather is difficult to remove from the wax paper, stick it in the freezer for 10-15 minutes then peel off.  Cut the leather into strips.  These can be rolled up or cut into bite size pieces.  Store in an airtight container at room temperature: they will keep indefinitely but might dry out over time.



does look like apple sauce and smelled like it too
it took 36 hrs
the picture doesn't look too appetizing but it smells and tastes delicious and all my taste testers love it!


Comments

Popular Posts